Mental health is an indispensable part of our well-being. Life is a roller-coaster with many ups and downs. While the brilliant human mind is equipped to manage the highs and lows, sometimes it requires help to restore balance. It’s a pivotal part of our body that connects all critical organs and it’s crucial to give it the pamper and care it deserves.
Pandemic has made people realise the importance of mental health and that actively working on it can transform one’s life. Friends, family, and hobbies help us in numerous ways to stay happy but when things get out of hand, therapy can work wonders in helping us get back. Online therapy has many innate benefits, but the fact that it can allow people to speak from their utmost comfort space makes it unique.
Most people who take online therapy have a common opinion that it has transformed their lives and mental health in unimaginable ways. They feel more confident, understand the emotions of others better, have satisfying relationships, and are more productive at work!
Curious to know more about online therapy? Here’s the perfect guide that covers all the possible questions popping up in your head.
What is online therapy?
Online therapy is the process of seeking help from an expert, licensed mental health professional that enables you to go through your difficult times better, helping you live a life with healthy mental health. It takes place remotely and gives people the flexibility to take the sessions from their living room couch, calming rooftop, a favourite corner for sipping coffee, or amidst the lap of nature. You can seek therapy from literally anywhere under the sun. It is a better alternative for people who may not feel well enough to leave their homes, have busy schedules, or feel safer speaking with someone online.
Why is online therapy more convenient?
We all strive to make our lives more convenient and relaxed. The same goes for therapy. Here are a couple of reasons why online therapy is well-suited for everyone:
1. Perfect for individuals who feel shy in the traditional setup: Often, people don’t seek mental health support only because they are uncomfortable going to a place and meeting someone in person and sharing their vulnerabilities.With the option of online therapy, this is no longer a roadblock. It gives people the choice to go for audio counselling or virtual video counselling, where you can take the therapy session on your device and have access to quality mental health resources.
2. Enhanced privacy: Even though the traditional therapy session has confidentiality as its utmost priority, visiting the therapist or waiting for the turns might also increase the odds of running into a known face.If you choose online therapy, privacy is enhanced as no one other than your therapist knows about your sessions.
3. Access to help from any therapist across the globe: With access to technology, you can now choose the therapist you feel can help you the most without worrying about the feasibility factor. It can be anyone, the therapist you saw on social media and felt an instant connection with or perhaps the therapist who inspired you with their last Ted Talk!
It can be quite a hassle finding a good therapist. We are here to make this one step easier for you. All you need to do is fill out this form, and you will be connected with a compassionate mental health expert from Rocket Health!
4. Cost and energy effective: Online therapy is a pocket-friendly option compared to in-person therapy as it helps you save on the fuel expenses you need to bear travelling to the clinic.It also saves your commuting time and can be easily accommodated in your busy schedule as you have the flexibility to take the session amidst your office break or leisure travel as well.
5. Room for greater expression: When it comes to expressing what you're feeling, talking alone may not be enough. With online therapy, clients can write, converse with or without video, interact in real-time or asynchronously, and even share photographs and work such as doodles. Online therapy offers the option to employ any combination of these mediums.
What can online therapy help with?
Online therapy can help you with a plethora of challenges, be it a rough patch in your relationship, grief of losing a loved one or a career roadblock. It can also be quite useful even if you are not facing any particular difficulties but want to improve your life by working on your strengths. The strategy followed by a therapist in online and offline consultation is the same. However, online therapy has an added advantage. You can schedule a quick SOS call with your therapist when things get out of hand.
Here are some of the things online therapy can help you with:
- A host of mental health-related struggles such as depression, anxiety, body dysmorphic disorder, stress, obsessive-compulsive disorder and many more!
- Develop a healthier coping mechanism and enhance self-awareness so you are in touch with your feelings.
- Develop a sense of empathy for others, and improve your interpersonal and communication skills.
- Therapy helps develop a new perception of life and transforms your mindset for the better.
- For someone who is shy or introverted, online therapy can work wonders as it helps them work on their social skills.
What to expect from your first online therapy session?
The first session looks very different and daunting as compared to the sessions that follow because you are meeting your therapist for the first time. Online therapy is a safe and non-judgemental space where you can feel vulnerable. The more you open up, the better guidance you will receive.
The first online therapy session will be centred around rapport formation with your therapist with the motive of getting to know you better. You’d be asked simple questions that will help them get more insights about your life, daily schedule, thoughts and emotions, behaviour patterns, likes and dislikes and the area of life you wish to work on.
Moving forward, the goal of the therapy shifts at its pace and then it becomes more about digging deep and working around important issues. You can be assured that your therapist will never rush and take things at a pace which is comfortable for you. Initially, it is normal to feel overwhelmed but trust us, you feel relieved to get things off your chest into a safe space where your thoughts can be nurtured.
The first step is the hardest but we are by your side throughout this journey. Rocket health offers online therapy consultation and has the most empathetic hoomans on their team to elevate your spirits. To book a session, click on the button below!